During the Christmas time we generate more waste and most of it can be recycled. Below are some tips on how to reduce waste and recycle more:
- Put ham grease in a tight container and then to the mixed waste inlet, or frozen grease in a biowaste bag and then to the biowaste inlet. Grease should not be poured down the sink or into the toilet, because it can clog the pipes. You can also participate in Kinkkutemppu and recycle the solid grease. The nearest collecting point is at Ruoholahti K-Citymarket, ask the staff!
- Food waste belongs to the biowaste inlet, not in the toilet.
- Wrapping paper is mixed waste. It does not qualify as paper or cardboard for recycling purposes.
- Aluminium foils and tea light candle shells belong to the metal section of the recycling room.
- Broken LED candles and light sets belong to electrical waste collection
- New Year’s tin is hazardous waste, because it consist a lot of lead. New Year´s tin is collected free of charge in HSY hazardous waste containers and Sortti-stations, or you can use it again a year later.
- Flatten cardboard boxes before placing them in the bin (in the Recycling room).
For more information: